Currently, social networks are one of the main marketing and sales tools for companies. These channels encourage the public to get closer to their idols or favorite brands on a more personal level. Knowing the trends in social networks for the coming months can help you get more out of such a valuable medium . Keep reading!
How is our current relationship with social networks?
The Digital 2021 study carried out in a joint effort by We Are Social and Hootsuite shows that the number of Internet users has grown by 7.3% this year compared to the figure for 2020. This means that approximately 60% of people all over the world now have access to the Internet .
This increase has been reflected in social networks. The number of users of this type of media has reached the figure of 1,200 million people. Do you know what this means?
- 53% of the world population is registered in at least one of them.
- Today there are 490 million more users on networks than were registered in 2020 .
Statista’s study shows the average time that users spend worldwide on social networks, being 2 hours and 25 minutes a day on average.
The Internet users most detached from them are found in some of the countries with the highest per capita income on the planet such as Japan (with 51 minutes), and in developed markets such as Germany (with 1 hour and 24 minutes) and Spain (with 1 hour and 54 minutes ). Despite this, this time represents a significant proportion of what we spend awake and away from work each day.
Thus, taking into account the presence of social networks among the population, it is very likely that you can also find your target audience in them . So identifying where to meet the buyer persona and when to do so will be essential to be successful.
Social networks that will dominate in 2022
Before looking at the trends in social networks for the next year, let’s do a brief review of the main social media that you should keep in mind for your marketing strategy. I recommend you start by evaluating these six:
- Facebook . For now, Facebook remains the world’s most popular platform for people and marketers, with 2.2 billion active users per month. Although other social networks are up very strongly, by market share Facebook continues to be considered the most relevant. So, especially for advertising campaigns, it is a great candidate to consider.
- Instagram . It is the platform most used by influencers worldwide and will continue to trend thanks to its image and video format, especially with Reels . In addition, it should be noted that, at the level of engagement with users, higher figures are achieved on this network than on Facebook.
- TikTok . Looking ahead to 2022, TikTok is presented as the preferred social network thanks to having increased the number of users around the planet. In fact, the short video platformis the fastest growing social network since its launch in 2016.
- Twitch . This streaming platform has managed to demonstrate its importance within the internet community. Its particular characteristics make it one of the options to take into account to carry out new marketing strategies . Its effectiveness lies in the fact that it allows you to show a wide diversity of content that helps to show a closer side. The result is a better connection between influencer and user.
- Twitter . Twitter has adapted very well to the new trends with its latest updates. Itsfuture plansinclude new functions, such as monetization (even with Bitcoins), creation of audio content, financial, technical and marketing support …
- LinkedIn . Likewise, if your company is B2B, you should not forget the potential of LinkedIn as the main professional social network.
13 social media trends to watch out for in 2022
Now, let’s see what are these 13 trends for social networks that you want to take into account for your marketing strategy in the coming months:
1. Boost sales on social networks
The integration of ecommerce with social networks is the order of the day. The goal is to make the purchase process much easier and simpler, so that customers do not need to leave social platforms to purchase their preferred products or services .
Platforms such as Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest are working to make it possible to buy from the publications themselves. The process is simple:
- A publication is made from the online store in networks.
- Certain products are labeled.
- Users access the content and, if they want to buy, they only have to click one.
In this way, it is possible for followers to carry out the transaction without having to navigate outside the application.
Even, to go further, I also advise you to take into account purchases in stream: Sales through live broadcasts were a success in 2021 on large social platforms such as Facebook.
The large social platforms offer influencers tools so that they can sell during their live and direct broadcasts , which is driving this trend.
If you want more information in relation to this trend and the rest of them, you may be interested in attending the event that will take place next Thursday, December 16: The Future of Social Media . A global, online and free event , organized by IEBS Business school , which will bring together leading experts from the world of social media.
2. Marketing de influencers / microinfluencers
Influencers are great allies of brands to carry out digital marketing campaigns . In fact, Talkwalker’s 2022 Social Media Trends study shows that “69% of marketers plan to invest more money in Instagram influencers compared to any other market.”
Without going any further, in Spain, investment in marketing with influencers exceeded 100 million euros in 2019 , a figure that continues to grow and that places this strategy as a trend that will continue beyond 2022.
Through influencers, a business can target a broader and more appropriate audience, as long as the brand ensures that its vision and values are in tune with those of the chosen influencer.
In addition, these types of strategies do not need great influencers, quite the opposite. The trend is to focus on micro influencers (1,000 to 100,000 followers ) . Having a small but dedicated audience can be more beneficial to your marketing goals than having a large but disconnected audience.
3. Videomarketing / clips cortos
In 2022, 80% of global internet traffic will come from downloading and viewing audiovisual content. It is one of the most effective channels to inform, educate and entertain customers >.
Video marketing is not limited solely to producing content for platforms such as YouTube, but its power can be harnessed through other communication channels to encourage interaction. It is one of the trends in social networks for the coming months and it will not be difficult for you to adopt.
For example, a simple live stream on Twitch or Instagram can report traffic, audience, and engagement .
You may especially be interested in focusing on clips or short videos . These have been the dominant content in 2021, and in 2022 that dominance will be reaffirmed. You can find inspiration for your content on TikTok or Instagram Reels.
4. More concise content
Although there are more and more users on social networks, the reality is that interest in their content is reduced. It is logical if we consider that the attention span of an average person only lasts 8 seconds .
For this reason, the different social media platforms are more committed to promoting more concise content. If you want to apply this trend, I recommend opting for short format videos and ephemeral content.
5. User generated content
The user generated content (UGC) is a powerful tool that offers 3 major advantages:
- Boost the brand image
- Improve the SEO of your website
- Improve user experience
For all this, it is one of the clear trends in social networks for 2022 . This type of content implies that customers create quality content for the brand. Customers value these types of interactions, which help reinforce social proof before investing in the purchase of a product or services.
What can you ask them to contribute? You have many options, from reviews to publications, using a certain hashtag, going through product unboxing videos …
Did you know that brands that increase their UGC content by about 20% lead to a 90% increase in customer return through their website? Viewing UGC increases your interest by 81%.
6. Inbound online advertising
The future of digital advertising is to expose users only to hyper-relevant ads using targeted audiences . Therefore, to reach new leads and convert them into customers, your company’s marketers need to fully understand how their customers behave online. Only then can they use that information wisely to shape personalized and targeted advertising .
This is how you will be able to reach the right customers, in the right way and at the right time, enhancing the results of digital advertising.